The Phlebotomy Short Course is designed to equip participants with theoretical knowledge and skills to perform safe and effective venepuncture on adults and to familiarise participants with all aspects of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Sign up for this course through the form on this page. Kindly prepare your documents before submitting your application. File uploads accept jpg, png and pdf file formats and should be no more than 4MB in size.
A) LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- State the basic principles in infection control and safe patient handling.
- Demonstrate the steps in donning and removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Perform the correct technique in venepuncture and collection of blood specimens.
- Describe the complications related to venepuncture and its management.
- Demonstrate safe handling of specimen and documentation.
The assessment strategy has been designed to address the integration of theory and practice across the course, in line with the course structure. Evidence of competence may be gathered by a number of methods including:
- Direct observation
- Competency assessment
- Stimulated Performance and or Case Scenarios discussions
Course participants would deem to have met the competency of venepuncture upon completion of the course and pass the competency tests.
C) ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Participants should have at least an “O” level certificate or WPLN Level 6 or equivalent.
- All participants are required to go for a blood test for Hepatitis and HIV before course commencement.
- Participants who are Hepatitis and HIV tested positive would not be able to attend the course.
D) PLACEMENT FOR PRACTICAL TRAINING
Participants who are not staff of our industry partner are required to:
- Find their own placement for the 30 cases of clinical practices.
- Participants will be issued with a “Certificate of Attendance” upon meeting the required 100% course attendance and competency assessment at the 3-day practical course.
- Participants who have finished 30 practical cases under the supervision of a registered doctor or trained phlebotomist are required to return to CSM Academy International to show the 30 practical cases evidence before the academy can issue the participants with a “Certificate of Completion”.