Language is central to students’ intellectual, social and emotional development and has an essential role in all key learning areas. The learning experiences provided in this Certificate of Proficiency in English Course will assist students in becoming competent in using the language effectively in a range of contexts. Competence in English will enable students to learn about the role of the language in their own lives and their own and other cultures.
They will then be able to communicate their thoughts and feelings, to participate in society, to make decisions about personal and social issues, to analyze information and viewpoints, to use their imagination and to think on the meaning made with language.
English is one of the preferred languages among people all over the world and has been adopted as a Second Language (ESL) or Foreign Language (EFL) by some of the countries in the world, e.g. Singapore, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and China.
Course Modules & Synopsis
This course provides students with a particular interest and ability in the subject with challenging learning experiences and opportunities to enjoy the breadth and variety of English text through the integration of the modes of reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and representing.
- People & Places
- You & Yours
- Everyday Life
- Loves & Hates
- Getting from A to B
- Eating and Drinking
- Extraordinary Lives
- Fact or Fiction
- Buying & Selling
- Street Life
- The World Around Us
- A Weekend Away
- Learning for the Future
- Keeping in Touch
- Going Places
Full time: 12 months (3-hour lessons/day, 5 days/week)
Part time: 18 months (3-hour lessons/day, 3 days/week)
Minimum Secondary 2 qualifications.
The course is delivered face-to-face, in classroom mode.
January, April, July and October
Note: In case students fail the main examination of a particular module, they are allowed to sit for ‘One’ supplement assessment with payment of the appropriate fee*. Students are to re-take the module, shall they fail the supplementary examination. Modules are independent of each other.
* Refer to Miscellaneous Fees
Graduation Requirements and awards
Students must complete and pass all 3 modules to be awarded the
Certificate of Proficiency in English will be conferred by the CSM Academy International.
Local students must achieve an attendance of 75%, and international students must complete attendance of 90% in any month of the course.
Course Fee: S$7,200 (before GST)
– Fee Protection Scheme***: Subject to prevailing market rate
– Medical Insurance Fee****: Subject to prevailing market rate
***The Fee Protection Scheme (FPS) serves to protect students’ paid fees.
****It is compulsory for all local and international students to purchase medical insurance which is valid throughout their course of studies with the CSM Academy International. Local students (Singaporeans, PRs & Non-student’s Pass holders) may opt-out for this scheme if they can provide the proof of adequate medical insurance coverage in Singapore.
– Payment of fees is in Singapore Dollars.
– Payment method only by Cheque/ Nets/ Telegraphic Transfer
· Bankers guarantee for International Students: S$550 (after GST)
· Logistics for new student pickup and arrangement (Optional): S$481.50 (after GST)
- Application form
- A copy of your passport-size photograph with white background
- A copy of passport (must have at least 1-year validity)
- Notarised/Certified true copies of all your educational transcripts and completion certificates
- Proof of English Proficiency; either IELTS/TOEFL score sheet or equivalent qualification (if applicable)
- A copy of resume
Additional documents for International students:
- ICA form 16 & 36A
- Resume or Letter from employer certifying period of employment (if applicable)
- Bank balance showing a minimum of S$30,000 for students from visa-required countries (China, India etc.)