Kickstart your ideas & innovations for business success
Design Thinking is a new dynamic, exciting and proven management concept used by many of the most successful organisations (Apple, Deutsche Bank, etc.). Students aspiring to get management positions in any sector of our society are strongly encouraged to understand how design thinking can become a significant factor in their own industries/ success.
By understanding the design thinking process, they can assist their organisations in bringing about dynamic transformations and provide for stability and sustainable success in the future. Students undertaking this course will benefit from understanding a range of concepts such as the difference in innovation, creativity, ambidextrous thinking, teamwork, end-user focus and curiosity.
Students will learn through the experiential problem-solving approach to understand the role of Design Thinking in management decision-making and planning strategy. They will be trained to reframe problems, conduct interviews and observations to understand the deeper needs of users to arrive with innovative solutions.
Course Learning Objectives*
This Certificate programme aims to provide students with the knowledge to understand design and design thinking and how these can have an impact on services such as health and education. The participants will acquire skills in collecting, recording and linking of information, with the use of tools and techniques to understand and capture users’ specific needs. Make prototypes – which is an essential part of design thinking – bring together all the skills learnt to frame a problem and arrive at a satisfactory solution through a project.
A total of 3 modules have to be completed and passed for the award of the Certificate in Design Thinking.
Full time: 1 month
Part-time: 2.5 months
January, April, July and October
- A minimum number of 15 students for the commencement of the class.
- Students will be informed 2 weeks before the start of the course.
The course is delivered face-to-face, in classroom mode.
In case students fail the main examination of a particular module, they are allowed to sit for ‘One’ supplement assessment with payment of the appropriate fee*. Students are to re-take the module, shall they fail the supplementary examination. Modules are independent of each other.
*Refer to Miscellaneous Fees
Students must complete and pass all 3 modules to be awarded the Certificate in Design Thinking will be conferred by the CSM Academy International Pte Ltd.
Course Developer & Awarding Body
CSM Academy International, Singapore
Course Modules & Synopsis
Design for Individual, Others and Society
- Introduction to the world of design and design thinking through case studies from design thinking practitioners;
- Collecting, recording and linking of information in a digital scrapbook;
- Understanding the types of design people need and how to make them happy; and
- How does design have an impact on services such as health and education?
Design Thinking Tools
- Tools and techniques to understand and capture user’ specific needs;
- Skills for producing and presenting prototypes.
Design Thinking Processes
- Bringing together all the skills learnt in the first two modules; framing a problem and arriving at the right solution; and
- Project to understand the process of design thinking.
- 3 GCE’ N’ Level (including a pass in English)
- NITEC holders
- Secondary School Qualification or Equivalent
English Language Requirement:
IELTS 4.5 level or equivalent
Application Fee (Non-Refundable and non-transferable)
Local Students: S$50
International Students: S$600
Local students: S$2,800 (before GST)
International students: S$3,800 (before GST)
Fee Protection Scheme***: Subject to prevailing market rate
Medical Insurance Fee****: Subject to prevailing market rate
***The Fee Protection Scheme (FPS) serves to protect students’ paid fees.
****It is compulsory for all local and international students to purchase medical insurance which is valid throughout their course of studies with the CSM Academy International. Local students (Singaporeans, PRs & Non-student’s Pass holders) may opt-out for this scheme if they can provide the proof of adequate medical insurance coverage in Singapore.
– Payment of fees is in Singapore Dollars.
– Payment method only by Cheque/ Nets/ Telegraphic Transfer
Please ask for a copy of the Programme Executives or Recruitment Agents.
SkillsFuture Credit information:
- You can submit your SkillsFuture claim 60 days before commencement of the programme, or the start of the course (w.e.f 21 April 2017). According to SkillsFuture SG, this window period is sufficient for individuals to make claims to facilitate earlier programme registration.
- Please inform the Programme Consultant on the usage of SkillsFuture Credit and advise the appropriate amount to be offset against the qualifying programme fees.
- You can then submit the claim via the SkillsFuture Credit Portal for the appropriate amount to be paid to CSM Academy International for your registered programme.
For more information, please visit http://www.skillsfuture.gov.sg/credit.